May is national bike month – A whole month to celebrate cycling!
Ames Bicycle Coalition is planning a variety of events for everyone's taste in this month, together with our community partners, such as commuters' breakfasts, handlebar happy hours, community bike rides, and more…
…or got ideas? Want to get involved? Contact us at email@example.com
Special offers to cyclists:
- Torrent Brewery: On Sundays $0.50 off house pints to anyone that can prove they road in on a bike.
- Arcadia: Bike Month special: Cyclists get a 25% discount.
- May 2, Saturday 8pm – 11pm – We have the pleasure to welcome back to Bluestem (3329 W Lincoln Way, Ames, IA 50014) the Colorado-based songwriter and live-looping artist Arthur Lee Land. $1 off ticket price for anyone arriving at show by bicycle! More info: Arthur Lee Land with Jen McClung.
- May 3, Sunday 1pm – 4pm – ABC at Healthy Street Event in Ames. We'll have a booth at the Healthy Street Event in Downtown Ames, organized by Healthiest Ames. Come visit us to learn about safe biking, simple bike repairs and our activities planned for the National Bike Month!
- May 4, Monday 7am – 9am – Cyclists' breakfast at Wheatsfield Coop (413 Northwestern Avenue, Ames, IA 50010). Have a free breakfast at your coop before you ride your bike to work or school! ABC members will be there for a chat.
- May 6, Wednesday – Bike to School Day
- May 9, Saturday 8pm – 11pm – Willy Porter at Bluestem (3329 W Lincoln Way, Ames, IA 50014). $1 off ticket price for anyone arriving at show by bicycle! More info: WILLY PORTER with Guest Andy Goessling (of Railroad Earth)
- May 11, Monday 7am – 9am – Bike Commuter Continental Breakfast Ames City Council will kick off Bike to Work week as part of National Bike Month to promote commuter biking (Ames City Hall). Council action form – Request to partecipate in "Bike to Work Week" brackfast at City Hall (.pdf).
May 12, Tuesday 5pm – 7:30pm – Handlebar happy hour at Mucky Duck pub. Specials from 5 to 7:30 PM (3100 S Duff Avenue Ames). Specials for cyclists! Come join fellow cyclists for a meal and a drink. If you don't know how to get there on your bike, ride with us:
Meet Jo at 5:15pm at The Café (2616 Northridge Pkwy, Ames).
Meet Elizabeth and Elke at 5:30pm at Ames Public Library (515 Douglas Avenue, Ames) to join the group.
- May 13, Wednesday 7am – 9am – Bike Commuter Pit Stop organized by Bike World. Stop by during your commute for a refreshment and a and chat with fellow cyclists! Location: Skater Park at Brookside Park, 6th Street, Ames, IA, United States
- May 15, Friday 7am – 12am – Bike to Work Day. Cyclists' breakfast at Skunk River Cycles (308 Main Street, Ames, IA 50010). Come on over for a chat and free breakfast at your local bike shop.
May 16, Saturday 1pm – 5pm – Leisurely bike ride to the newly opened Alluvial Brewing Company. Join the Ames Bicycle Coalition for a leisurely bike ride to the newly opened Alluvial Brewing Company (next door to Prairie Moon winery). We'll be riding a total distance of approximately 16.5 miles which will take about 2 hours. But don't panic, there will be regular rest stops! The route will mostly be along bike lanes and quiet roads. All this riding will certainly make us hungry so bring along snacks and/or a packed lunch to eat at the Brewery.
Meet at Ames Public Library (515 Douglas Avenue, Ames) at 1 pm or The Café (2616 Northridge Pkwy, Ames) at 1:20 pm. We should be back in Ames by approximately 5 pm.
- May 22, Friday 6pm – 8pm – Cycle Cinema Night at KHOI Community Radio . We will meet at the fountain in front of the Memorial Union – ISU (2229 Lincoln Way, Ames, IA 50011-1130) on campus for a relaxed after school/work bike ride through the neighborhoods, ending up at 7 pm at the KHOI station in Downtown, where we will screen a variety of informational short films on examples of liveable streets from all over the country. Short films by streetfilms.org. After the films we invite citizens and city officials to a constructive discussion on how a city can be accessible by all transportation types. Join us for the ride, the film, or both!!
- May 26, Tuesday 5pm – 7:30pm – Handlebar Happy Hour at West Towne (4518 Mortensen Road #108, Ames, IA 50014). Free pint if you bring your helmet in. Celebrate Bike Month!
- May 31, Sunday 3pm – 4pm – Family bike ride In collaboration with Kidical Mass. We will meet at Bandshell Park for a slow paced, family friendly bike ride through the neighborhood and end at the Ames Progressive Alliance picnic (4pm to 6pm) at Brookside Park (Bandshell Park, Ames, IA 50010).